Friday 13 July 2012

It's all about exercise!

Hey again, so I've had a couple of YouTuber's ask me about exercise. Please note I am NOT an expert, nor do I claim to be. I'm just saying how I see it.

Now, firstly I believe the most important thing is to find something you enjoy and that can also fit into your weekly schedule. If at the start of exercising you are literally having to fight yourself everytime into doing it then it probably isn't going to last and eventually your willpower will be lost.

I suspect most people aiming to get fit will start with one of two methods. Either, joining a gym if you have the cash, or starting up running, cost-free. Personally I have fallen victim to the first option. Over the past 4 years I have become a gym member four times, in which two of those I definately did not get my money's worth nor did I actually keep going! In my case the times I failed were when I joined a gym purely to use their equiptment. In truth I am not overly a massive gym fan. The times I succeeded in using my membership were when I used it to attend group exercise classes with instructors telling me what to do. For me, I like that extra incentive of being yelled at sometimes and often I feel the competitve nature of the group means I push a lot harder than I would if I were on my own.

However, group exercise isn't for everyone. I know a lot of people may feel embarassed at the thought of others 'looking' at them working out. But honestly from experience, people are so into the class that nobody has time to look at other members.

It may be a good idea to go to a class with a friend for some moral support, afterall making a mistake and laughing about it with someone is probably a lot less daunting! And besides, even the intructors make mistakes... so I know everyone else must do so every now again! Don't worry just smile it off, cause you're there and that's what counts :P

Now in terms of what types of exercise classes you go for...well that depends on what you prefer and maybe also what your 'problem areas' are. The good thing is, you can try out a class and if you hate every minute of it then you are not oliged to ever go back!

I like to attend different types of classes e.g. Spinning, Zumba, Aerobics and Step n Core, just so I can work a lot of areas and mix things up a bit. However, I would say that if you find one you enjoy then stick with it. Don't worry if you do something like Zumba and don't get half of the moves after 1 or 2 classes. The more you keep with the same class, the better at it you'll get and most likely the more you'll start to have fun doing it. And of course the more you can put into a class the more you'll reap the benefits!

If anyone has any questions about any particular classes I do e.g. what they consist of, or what they are like then feel free to ask...obviously classes will differ depending on the instructor....And that's another thing, the instructor does make ALL the difference in my opinion. If there's a couple of different slots for something like spinning, more than likely there'll be more than one instructor. Trial them both out and go with the one that suits you. I usually like to go with the instructor that appears to work you the hardest but I am a sucker for pain haha. I very much like the moto, NO PAIN NO GAIN :)

And if group exercise classes aren't for you and you too aren't a gym fan...what about swimming? I like to go at least once a week for about 1 hour of laps. Depending on how I'm feeling I'll swim slowly or speed things up. I find swimming quite theraputive and it's perfect for those days when perhaps I'm lacking the energy to do a class or gym session....Yes, although I dislike the gym I still go once a week...the once doesn't seem too bad!

Now there are lots more exercise options out there... I mean housework is a killer! Serious cal burner! So if you can't find any exercise that you particularly enjoy you probably do some form of it with daily chores like cleaning or even walking the dog?! They say try to do 30 mins a day for at least 5 days of the week. If you're serious about getting fit though you will probably want to at least meet it or increase that.

Why not try out a new type of exercise this week?

Good luck! Keep that motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment