Sunday 9 December 2012

Thick & Fast Vs. a BADgal?

Hello!

So for my first proper beauty related post I figured I'd start with my number one favourite make-up item...MASCARA. As I said previously, I love how this clever little stick allows all of us to appear luscious lashed!

Today I shall be putting Benefit's BADgal lash mascara into the ring with Soap & Glory's Thick & Fast mascara. Fight!...

I received these two mascaras in a £1 bag for students at a recent fresher's fair, (this event is basically a chance for new students and old students alike to bag a few bargains) and although the BADgal lash mascara is only a miniature I reckon it was a pretty good deal!

The Soap & Glory Thick & Fast retails for £10 (from the likes of Boots), whilst a full size Benefit BADgal lash totals £17.


The first thing I noticed about the two mascaras is how similar their brush heads are, in fact they're almost identical. The brushes are very large and to be honest I found them quite intimidating at first. They are also hair/bristle based and generally I usually lean more towards the plastic brush heads on mascaras. Nevertheless I thought I'd give each of them a good go, afterall...I did get them for £1 so I couldn't really complain!

I've alternated using both of them over the last few weeks but for me one definitely came out on top...

Left: BADgal lash            &           Right: Thick & Fast
So I curled my eyelashes and applied two coats of each mascara. In my opinion the results are quite obvious with Soap & Glory's Thick & Fast mascara not only doing a finer job of separating my lashes but also in giving them more length. The Benefit BADgal mascara's formula was also slightly harder to work with and I had to fight quite hard against clumping.

Soap & Glory's Thick & Fast
I really liked how this mascara applied and I could feel the brush combing through my lashes. As you can see, it did a great job of separating whilst also adding length and volume. I felt like this mascara helped open up my eye, making it appear bigger and giving my lashes better definition.

Benefit's BADgal lash
As for this mascara, given its fairly hefty price tag (£17) and its hard to work with formulation I wouldn't consider purchasing the full sized wand. Whilst I found it a generally OK mascara, I think there are plenty of better alternatives out there, like the Soap & Glory one for instance. I imagine I would have been pretty disappointed if I had bought the mascara.

All in all I would give the Benefit BADgal lash mascara a disappointing 2/5 stars, with the Soap & Glory Thick & Fast mascara appointed 4/5 stars.

However, something that you would have to consider with the Soap & Glory mascara (and the reason for only 4 stars) is that I did notice some lower lash fallout after wearing it all morning, resulting in a low level panda eye situation. But, if you are someone who only likes to apply mascara to your top lashes then this would be a great mascara for you! Alternatively Clinique's Bottom Lash mascara could be a great solution to prevent this!

Clinique's Bottom Lash Mascara- Boots: £11
I have my eye on this product! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment