Saturday 29 December 2012

Christmas belly

 Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas!...

Actually Christmas is over...but I hope you had a good one!

Is it just me or does Christmas somehow convince you that it's fine to go ahead and stuff yourself with far too much food and drink?! That it's ok to be the ultimate 'couch potato' and barely lift a finger never mind exercise?

Well...it was good while it lasted, but the aftermath wasn't so great! I've been feeling really bloated, fat and generally disgusting! It's weird how eating rubbish food can actually make you feel rubbish! Of course, besides a couple of pounds maybe, I doubt I have actually become 'fatter' but still...it is not a nice feeling!



And with the lack of exercise I've been feeling really lethargic and I've become quite lazy...with duvet days becoming a bit too much of a ritual!

So enough was enough! ...After a full week off from any exercise (which believe me is a lot when your body is used to daily activity) I forced myself to head off to the gym. It was a true battle with my motivation at rock bottom, but I just kept telling myself I would feel better afterwards. I mean when have you ever regretted a workout? Perhaps, the only ones that didn't happen?! Once it's done, it's done!

Now I'm not going to lie, it was tough to get back into it. I could tell my fitness had declined a little,  and the first 20 minutes was hard. Wasn't helped by the fact my chest hurts at the moment (buggy bug bugs) but I soldiered on and actually ended up having a pretty productive session. Considering my earphones decided to pack in before I did made it harder still, as music is my secret weapon in the gym! At the moment Gangnam Style is thee song...I always have one song that spurs me on more than the rest...this one, because it makes me laugh and has a great feel-good tune about it!

Anyway...I was meaning to do a quick weigh-in to find out Christmas' damage, but I forgot. Alhough I might be 'gymming it' later so I shall do an update if I do! At the end of the day...scales aren't all that important. We as body conscious beings know when we've gained a few pounds. I mean were those jeans always so tight?...We don't really need a machine to put it in black and white.

When I started my 'lifestyle change' and joined Weight Watchers and signed up to a gruelling exercise regime, the scales were important to me. I had this goal weight in mind, which quite honestly felt unachievable at the time. When the scale readings started going down it felt amazing...all my hard work was paying off! And then finally after nearly 6 months, *BANG* there was my goal weight 8st 7lbs in bold writing! And although it made me happy, by this point the scales weren't as significant. I had already been on holiday and felt 'less conscious' in my bikini, I had got into all my old favourite jeans and most importantly I had started to feel happy in my own skin! Yes, it sounds rather cheesy but it is true!

At first maintaining my weight worried me. I found it a little difficult to bite the bullet, so to speak, and cancel my Weight Watcher's subscription. It had kept me regimented and, along with exercise, had been my key to success. However, slowly I started to adapt to not recording my food and just ensured I was sensible- eating a little more than I perhaps would have done on the plan but not over-doing it.

At the end of the day, you have to find something that works for you and stick to it.

Christmas might have got in the way...but it's time to get back on the wagon! :)

Are you cradling a Santa belly from too much festive fun? I'd love to hear from you! Come say hi on Twitter: @ellie1989

Need tips on what you can do? A bit of motivation? Or just someone to talk to?...Drop me a Tweet...I don't bite (I've already had my breakfast!)

No comments:

Post a Comment