Wednesday 15 August 2012

Insomnia & Update

Hello everyone.

It seems that slowly but surely my sleeping arrangements have altered and I've become an insomniac! At first I noticed that I wasn't sleeping until around 2am...but being a bit of a night owl anyway I wasn't that worried. BUT THEN the constant waking through the night started up. On average around 2-3 times during the night my eyes pop open and I feel weirdly awake. However despite this disturbed sleep I have been generally waking up feeling fresh and rested...

Well, not this morning. Last night was a BAD night for me. Strangely Monday night I went to bed at the reasonable hour of 11.50pm and slept right through waking up at 9.30am! So I thought I'd perhaps put the insomniac tendencies behind me?!...NOPE. So, last night I ended up getting into bed at around 2am and although I only woke up once at around 5am, when I awoke at 9.30am I felt absolutely dreadful and drifted back off to sleep. 9.50, 10.20, and finally 11.30 were the times I stirred and looked at the clock. Hmmm not exactly restful. Unusually I feel really tired and fuzzy today...not a great start to the day!



Now...why the change in my sleep? Previous to when it started, I always loved my sleep and would often sleep for 9-10 hours perhaps just waking once. I would always enjoy a good lie-in too, sometimes well into dinnertime hours depending on what time I went to bed. OOPS! But now, I struggle to stay asleep.

I did a little bit of research and found there to be different types of insomnia. Transient insomnia lasts for less than a week. Definitely outlived this one! Acute insomnia is the inability to consistently sleep well for a period of less than a month. Hoping mine is this one! Chronic insomnia lasts for longer than a month.

I found that in some cases exercise can be linked to insomnia, whereby some people do not sleep well if they exercise up to 5 hours before bedtime. This could explain my recent sleeping difficulties...? I guess the endorphin's that activity releases can play a part in feeling too energetic for bed? I'm no doctor so don't quote me on this, but it makes sense?

If anyone has more information or has had similar experiences themselves, I'd love to hear from you. It's driving me insane! But I won't be changing my exercise regime...so if it is that then it's something I'm going to have to deal with for a little while until I return to university! 

And now for the UPDATE.

Good results this week...another 2lbs loss. YAY! :) Hope everyone did well!!

Stay motivated guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment